Deputy Vice Rectors & Directors
10 October 2023
Deputy Vice Rector for Internationalization
Alberto Rodríguez Martínez is an associate professor in the Department of Communications Engineering at the School of Engineering of Elche in the Area of Signal Theory and Communications. He is also a collaborator at other universities, including the Kaunas University of Technology in Lithuania. Alberto is on the Board of Directors at the Official College of Telecommunications Engineers of the Valencian Community and its college delegate for the Province of Alicante.
Alberto Rodríguez Martínez is the Deputy Vice Rector for Internationalization. These tasks include:
- Foster internationalization of the university, especially in countries from the European Union, North America, and Asia, establishing alliances in accordance with the UMH internationalization strategy.
- Coordinate UMH participation at higher education events and fairs (NAFSA, EAIA) and promote participation at meetings, seminars, encounters, projects, and international networks of interest.
- Encourage and coordinate mobility by university faculty, research personnel, and staff, via the Erasmus+ and Destino programs, as well as facilitate incorporation of external faculty & investigators at the UMH.
- Bolster the UMH as a destination for international students through the promotion of training offers in English (elective courses, English honors groups, new undergraduate & graduate programs, UMH dual undergraduate & graduate programs, online platforms, and remote education channels at the UMH) in conjunction with the Vice Rectorate for Academic Affairs.
- Coordinate interactions with university managers whose tasks include internationalization of schools, faculties, and research institutes. Manage the Support for the Internationalization of Schools, Faculties and Research Institutes program (AIEFI).
- Manage the Teaching Projects for Internationalization at Home Program (PRODIC).
- Advocate for and support participation by faculty & research personnel in applications for professional and non-professional European doctorates.
- Stimulate participation by faculty & research personnel in relevant international calls that aim for internationalization of training and university management, especially in Europe, North America, and Asia (Erasmus+ STT/STA & KA171, KA2 projects; Jean Monet chairs, Fullbright program, UNESCO chairs).
Deputy Vice Rector for International Projection and Communication
José Luis González is a journalist, an associate professor of journalism at the UMH, teaching political journalism on the undergraduate level, in the Master’s in Innovation in Journalism, and the Doctoral Program in Social and Legal Sciences. He is a member of the Research Group on Communication in the Valencian Community. José Luis is assigned to the assigned to the Department of Social and Human Sciences, he holds a master of community law from the University of Castilla-La Mancha and earned his doctorate in journalism from the Complutense University of Madrid.
José Luis González Esteban is Deputy Vice Rector for Projection and International Communication. The tasks in this role include:
- Strengthen the communication strategy of the UMH enhances its visibility internationally.
- Coordinate UMH participation at higher education events and fairs (Study in Spain) and promote participation at meetings, seminars, encounters, projects, and international networks of interest.
- Manage and coordinate the Vice Rectorate communication strategy aimed at publicizing the UMH brand and communication over social media and international publications, in conjunction with the Vice Rectorate for Student Affairs and Coordination. Edit the magazine and radio program that goes by the name of Global UMH.
- Promote university internationalization, especially in Latin America, in conjunction with the Ibero-America Espejo Program Director, in Africa, and other developing non-European Community countries in accordance with the UMH internationalization strategy.
- Enhance recruitment of international students through the promotion of and improvements to the MUDI program and other study abroad programs at the UMH.
- Consolidate internationalization of teaching at the UMH through the Destino program, especially with Latin America, Africa, and other developing non-European Union countries.
- Coordinate the establishment of agreements with external stakeholders for international dissemination of the UMH educational offer and to recruit international students.
- Foster cooperation with higher education institutions, especially in countries of Latin America, Africa, and other developing non-European Union countries.
+34 96 665 8522
Deputy Vice Rector for Institutional Position & Rankings
José Manuel Blanes Martínez is an associate professor at the Miguel Hernández University of Elche in the Area of Electronic Technology at the Materials Science, Optics and Electronic Technology Department. He is also a member of the Industrial Electronics Research Group.
José Manuel Blanes Martínez is the Deputy Vice Rector for Institutional Position & Rankings. His tasks in this role include:
- Substitute the Vice Rector for Internationalization and Cooperation in cases of absence or illness.
- Coordinate university policy on matters of positions in national and international rankings.
- Manage communications processes of institutional data for national and international rankings, in conjunction with the Registrar.
- Review and analyze evolution of institutional indicators and positions in rankings.
- Collaborate in the preparation of reports and presentations on the evolution of institutional data, in conjunction with the remaining competent vice rectorates.
- Guide internal UMH policies to improve the positions of the UMH in international rankings, in conjunction with the remaining competent vice rectorates.
- Plan and implement global strategies aiming to improve the university position in funding plans, in conjunction with the remaining competent vice rectorates.
- Coordinate activities related to projects and alliances with the programs of Erasmus+ program and European Universities Initiative.
- Coordinate the preparation of the strategic plan for internationalization and cooperation.
+34 96 665 8488
Director of Development Cooperation and Volunteerism
Juana Aznar Márquez is an associate professor at the Miguel Hernández University of Elche in the Area of Fundamentals of Economic Analysis and a member of the Economy, Culture and Gender Research Group. Juana belongs to two research centers, the Interdisciplinary Center for Gender Studies and Center for Business Innovation and Development, and is assigned to the Department of Economic and Financial Studies.
Juana Aznar Márquez is the Director of Development Cooperation and Volunteerism. The tasks in this role entail:
- Coordinate the development cooperation actions and projects carried out by university community members and university units, nationally and internationally.
- Foster and disseminate initiatives developed at the UMH in teaching and research fields, aimed at solidarity, social justice, volunteerism, and development cooperation.
- Raise awareness and training levels in all university groups on international development cooperation.
- Forge alliances with social and governmental interlocutors to advance development cooperation projects created by the university.
- Coordinate development cooperation activities and agreements between the UMH and governmental agencies (Generalitat Valenciana, Diputación Provincial, city halls).
- Coordinate operations of chairs related to international development cooperation and advancement of the Sustainable Development Goals from the 2030 Agenda.
- Coordinate national and international volunteerism activities for UMH community members related to social volunteerism
- Facilitate participation by university community members in the framework of social volunteerism.
- Spearhead the Sustainable Development Goals from the 2030 Agenda of the United Nations in university settings.
+34 96 674 9841
Director of Mobility
África Martínez Poveda is an associate professor at the Miguel Hernández University from the area of Economics, Sociology and Agricultural Policy, and is a member of the Agro-Environmental and Rural Economy, Policy and Development Research Group. She has authored several papers in this area, and in the course of her research, visited universities abroad. Furthermore, África Martínez is the Faculty Board Secretary.
África Martínez Poveda is the Director of Mobility. Her tasks in this role include:
- Coordinate the publication of calls and manage national mobility programs (SICUE, Xarxa Vives) and international mobility programs for studies and traineeships and the Destino program for students.
- Foster UMH student mobility via the dissemination of the different mobility programs.
- Facilitate the incorporation of UMH students at their destination universities.
- Coordinate the acceptance process for national and international incoming students at facilities their incorporation at the distinct UMH units (for SICUE and Erasmus+). Facilitate, as much as possible, paperwork for international students via interactions with the Spanish Office of Immigration and the Delegación del Gobierno.
- Bolster and coordinate student mobility under the classification of the “Visiting Student.”
- Coordinate relationships with UMH schools and faculties to help steward student mobility.
- Coordinate information and reports for the Erasmus+ mobility program for SEPIE and handle audits.
- Promote and coordinate foreign language training for university students, staff, faculty & research personnel, as well as Spanish language training for international students with language courses, in conjunction with the Language Center of the Miguel Hernández Universitas Foundation.
+34 96 665 8522
Director of International Graduate Programs
María Pastor Valero is an associate professor at the Miguel Hernández University of Elche in Preventive Medicine and Public health. She is a member of the Global Health Research Group and is on the Academic Committee of the Doctoral Program in Public Health, Medical and Surgical Sciences offered by the Faculty of Medicine. María is also the coordinator of the Tordesillas Doctoral College of Public Health and History of Science at the UMH.
María Pastor Valero is the Director of International Graduate Programs. Her tasks in this role include:
- Manage the acquisition and homologation of graduate degrees (master and doctoral) for international students in conjunction with the Vice Rectorate for Research & Transfer and the Service of Academic Management.
- Manage and coordinate activities by doctoral schools in the Tordesillas Group, of which the Miguel Hernández University of Elche is a participating member.
- Coordinate and publicize at the UMH the activities of international graduate structures and networks in which the UMH participates with international academic institutions (AUIP).
- Manage and coordinate activities that are part of the agreement between the UMH and The São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP; Brazil).
- Design, promote, and consolidate public and private cooperation sponsorship to fund international research projects between the UMH and international academic and higher research institutions.
+34 96 591 9331
Ibero-America Espejo Program Director
Joaquín Julián Pastor Pérez is an associate professor in the Department of Engineering at the School of Engineering of Orihuela (EPSO). He is also Director of the New Construction Materials Research Group.
Joaquín Julián Pastor Pérez is the Ibero-America Espejo Program Director. Tasks for this role include:
- Promote UMH internationalization in Ibero-America within the framework of the Ibero-America Espejo Program. Encourage mobility by Latin American students to the UMH.
- Select destination universities and establish agreements with universities and governmental institutions to implement graduate programs as part of the Ibero-America Espejo Program.
- Push for and design strategies that involve participation by UMH faculty in graduate programs at Ibero-American higher education institutions.
- Propose programs with cross-cultural contents and/or continuous education endeavors via specialized training, study abroad programs (along with the Deputy Vice Rector for International Projection and Communication), and nanocursos, subject to their respective classifications at the UMH, directed at Ibero-American students and professionals.
- Publicize academic, cultural, and scientific encounters to contribute to the exchange and enrichment of experiences and expertise among faculty and research personnel at the UMH and higher education institutions and research centers in Ibero-America.
+34 96 674 9640