6 November 2023
The Miguel Hernandez University of Elche (UMH) regularly hosts external faculty, researchers, graduate students, interns, and administrative staff (hereinafter “visiting personnel”), for stays at its departments, institutes, centers, laboratories, administrative services, etc. To ensure that visiting personnel are properly insured against incidents that may occur during their stays at the UMH, it is important that the UMH employee/faculty who invites external faculty, researchers, or other Spanish or foreign individuals, follows the guidelines listed here. These indications are applicable to all visiting personnel from both Spanish and foreign institutions who plan to reside at the UMH for periods longer than 7 days.
- If the visiting personnel require an invitation letter, then the UMH host extending such invitation must send one to them with signed approval by the director of the UMH department, institute, center, or administrative service where the stay is going to take place. Such approval is required in order to ensure availability of space at the UMH to accommodate the visiting personnel. The following links show sample invitation letters, in both Spanish and English.
- The UMH host shall then inform the Area of Internationalization at the Service of International Relations about the arrival of the visiting personnel at least one month ahead of time. To accomplish this, the UMH Stay Application Form (available in both Spanish and English) must be completed and signed by the host, the director of the UMH department, institute, center, or administrative service where the visiting personnel will be during their stay, and signed by the visiting personnel as well. The UMH Stay Application Form must be sent to the Service of International Relations, along with a letter from the institution of origin indicating its approval for the stay by the visiting personnel at the UMH. A sample letter model is available here, in both Spanish and English.
- Upon receipt of both documents, the Service of International Relations will inform the corresponding administrative service to include and cover the visiting personnel in the UMH public liability insurance policy. Receipt of the aforementioned documents are required for visiting personnel to ensure suitable coverage against incidents that may occur during their stay on UMH facilities. The Service will then inform the host by email about the approval for the stay and the inclusion of the visiting personnel in the UMH public liability insurance policy.
- If the dates for the stay are subsequently modified, the UMH host will inform the Service of International Relations to change the corresponding insurance coverage conditions. A sample letter for notifying such changes is available here, again in both Spanish and English. This letter notifying a modification of the dates of the UMH stay must be sent to the Service of International Relations, and be signed by the director of the UMH department, institute, center, or administrative service hosting the visiting personnel during their UMH stay.
- Visiting personnel are responsible for obtaining the necessary visas or other permission required for a stay in Spain at the UMH. In addition, they must possess a suitable insurance policy that guarantees health coverage during their UMH stay period (this is different from the public liability insurance policy).
- Before the stay finishes, the UMH host may request that a Certificate of Stay be issued to the visiting personnel for said stay. The corresponding certificate may be requested by email to the Area of Internationalization at ().
For training or teaching stays under the Erasmus+ program (for stays of any length, even those whose duration is less than 7 days), the UMH host must inform the Service of International Relations about the arrival of the visiting personnel at least one month beforehand. To accomplish this, they only need to send a duly completed Training Program or Teaching Program of the stay to the Service. The Service of International Relations will send the UMH host these documents, signed by the Vice Rector for Internationalization and Cooperation as approval for the visit. Upon visit conclusion, either the visiting personnel or the UMH host may request a signed Certificate of Stay from the Service of International Relations.
For further information, contact:
Ursula Kress Mattis
Service of International Relations – Area of Internationalization
Tel: +34 96 665 86 67