Stays of Visiting Personnel at the UMH
25 May 2023
The Miguel Hernandez University of Elche (UMH) regularly hosts visiting faculty, researchers, graduate students, and administrative staff (hereinafter referred to as “visiting personnel”) for stays at its departments, institutes, centers, laboratories, and administrative services. In order to guarantee that visiting personnel are insured against incidents that may occur during their stays at the UMH, it is important that the UMH staff/faculty (hereinafter, the “host”) who invites faculty, researchers, or other Spanish or foreign individuals, follows the guidelines listed here. These indications are applicable to all visiting personnel from both Spanish and foreign institutions who plan to remain at the UMH for periods longer than 7 days.
- If the visiting personnel require an invitation letter, then the UMH host extending such invitation must send one to them with signed approval by the director of the UMH department, institute, centre, or administrative service where the stay is going to take place. Such approval is required in order to ensure an availability of space at the UMH to accommodate the visiting personnel. A sample invitation letter can be found here (36Kb .doc).
- The host must inform the Area of Internationalization at the Service of International Relations (hereinafter, the “Unit”) about the arrival of the visiting personnel at least one month beforehand. To accomplish this, the UMH Stay Application Form (available here (33Kb .doc) must be completed and signed by the host, the director of the UMH department, institute, centre, or administrative service where the visiting personnel will be during their stay, and signed by the visiting personnel as well. This form must be sent to the Unit by internal mail along with a letter from the institution of origin indicating its approval for the stay by the visiting personnel at the UMH. A sample letter is available here (67Kb .docx).
- Upon receipt of both documents, the Unit will inform the corresponding administrative service to include the visiting personnel in the UMH public liability insurance policy. The aforementioned documents are required for visiting personnel to ensure suitable coverage against incidents that may occur during their stay at UMH facilities. The Unit will then inform the host by email about the approval for the stay and the inclusion of the visiting personnel in the UMH public liability insurance policy.
- If the dates for the stay are subsequently modified, the host will inform the Unit in order to change the corresponding insurance coverage conditions. A sample letter for notifying such changes is available here (26Kb .docx). This document must be sent by internal mail to the Unit, and signed by the director of the UMH department, institute, centre, or administrative service hosting the visiting personnel during their UMH stay.Visiting personnel are responsible for obtaining visas or any other permission required for a stay in Spain. In addition, they must possess a suitable insurance policy that guarantees health coverage during their UMH stay period (this is different from the public liability insurance policy).
- Before the stay finishes, the host may request the Unit by email () to issue a stay certificate on behalf of the visiting personnel.
For training or teaching stays under the ERASMUS program (for stays of any length, even those whose duration is less than 7 days), the UMH host must inform the Unit about the arrival of the visiting personnel at least one month beforehand. To accomplish this, they only need to send to the Unit of International Relations of the UMH a duly completed Training Program or Teaching Program document established by the European Commission. The Unit will send the host these documents, approved and signed by the Vice Rector for International Relations. Upon visit conclusion, either the visiting personnel or the host may request a signed stay certificate from the Unit.